Creativity – final week in the Adobe train the trainer course
I have really enjoy the creativity sections of this course, which has been totally full on… well more than 8 hours a week over the 8 weeks… and yes I am finishing off my final project with days to spare!
We looked at this amazing TED Talk from Tina Seelig “Unlocking Creativity”. Well worth spending twenty minutes looking at the creativity through her Innovation Engine.
“The space we are in tells a story. Every space is the stage on which we play off our own life, and it tells us what role we play, how we should act.”
Habitats are also the rules, people, rewards, constraints, incentives, and physical space within a learning space.
How we use space is so important, we look at the industrial age type classrooms in lines where students are trained to work in little boxes… no space to permit creativity. Students love to explore on the floor, collaborate when given the opportunity, move furniture around. Google/Pixar – innovation, creativity and playfulness are valued.
We have been working on a 3I approach to teaching and learning where students are given direct instruction, independent learning and interdependent learning. This will hopefully lead to fostering creativity… however, we get down to use the room, and someone has put the tables back into rows… arghhhhh. Clearly there has to be some further fostering of creativity with the teachers… hehehehe
- What is your creative vision for the educators and students in your school or university?
That all teachers work to develop each student’s creative intelligence as much as they work on literacy and numeracy
- What part will you play as a professional development leader to promote creativity in your school or university?
- Showcasing the positive aspects of creativity, and how fostering creative intelligence works in tandem with literacy and numeracy to create students who are able to clearly articulate and plan for tomorrow’s future
- Developing resources for teachers to make it easier for them to not only see the value in developing a student’s creative processes, but to make it easier for them to understand and implement in their classes
Do you agree with the statement: “Creativity isn’t an elective anymore; it’s our future”? Why or Why not?
- digital expression is the new literacy and creativity is the new fluency: We have entered a new century with new tools and for the first time since the industrial age the way we teach needs to change, educators need to embrace creative approaches to hook the learners we have who have a world of knowledge at their fingertips, but need to develop creative ways to harness this knowledge, decipher it, and create a bold and bright new future with it.
What about this video resonated with you most? Why?
- The emphasis on ideas, creating, expression and exploring new ways of doing things, innovating ideas. The tools have changed, they need to be learned to be able to be used fluently and therefore creatively.
How will you apply the content from the Adobe 101 section of the Train the Trainer course to your professional practice?
- I would hope that I can embed an even more creative approach to my teaching in all aspects. Following on from that taking it to other educators, in my own school, and beyond
Course Review: Creativity in Education
Throughout the Train the Trainer Course we’ve explored why creativity in education is important, and we’ve examined barriers to creativity. We’ve also learned that creativity can be taught and assessed, and we’ve reviewed some best practices for fostering creativity.
- It hasn’t changed as much as being given support to what my thoughts already were. It has definitely become more structured which is a very good thing!
- In Creativity… the resources, and the encouragement and confidence to continue sharing with other teachers why creativity is a vital part of our 21st Century teaching and learning. I really like the quote “digital expression is the new literacy and creativity is the new fluency”. That says it all, we all need to become fluent in the use of the digital tools which allow creativity to blossom.
- I intend to complete the Creativity units on assessing creativity etc. As I would like it to be much more structured in all aspects, in order to share the skills with non creative arts teachers.