February 15

Week 2 Round up Adobe train the trainer

What a way to play catch up… a great week, and all making sense, clicking into place.

Beginning with Adobe 101, we looked at a video showcasing exactly what it is Adobe does and what it can do for educators and students.

Adobe and Creativity

My forum reflection:”Loving getting back into my Adobe love…. I feel like I have been a bit disconnected… I am needing to catch up with my tech to get the Creative Cloud installed.Biggest takeaway … the awesome support and FREE and useable/mashable/shareable resources available… it really does make it easy for a trainer to get those not so confident with the products to see it as something they can use.

The resources I think I will find most useful are the tutorial sites… loved the idea of having each participant explore a tutorial or element and bringing it back. The self paced workshops are great for holidays etc… as timing in a global community is always going to be tricky so you do have to be committed to participate in the collaborative journeys… not for the faint hearted!”Creativity in Education began with a look at Sir Ken Robinson, and one of his many discussions on this subjects.

• How do you define creativity?

Thinking outside the box…trying new approaches, not being limited by the way things have always been done.

• How do you think creativity affects student learning?

Rote learning or simply learning things to get them to achieve at tests will not help students to develop independent thinking. They will need to be guided. For many it is much easier to just to what has to be done, rather than straining their thinking process to create different ideas… the number of students who have said to me…. but what is the minimum i need to do to pass, what chapter will I find the answer in? rather than exploring thier ideas and allowing themselves to learn and grow

• How does creativity affect your personal life or professional practice?

Sometimes creativity can be a longer process, so taking time doesn’t always work well in professional life..sadly some bosses don’t like to think creatively, and the whole place begins to stagnate. I like to think creatively… I think it’s because I teach in a creative field that I am not fearful of taking a different and more adventurous route…

Sir Ken Robinson: creativity is a process not an event

My reflections: Absolutely on the same wavelength… perhaps as I have read and viewed a lot of his works… but I wrote down my reflections before watching the video, and the ability to think outside the box, come up with ideas which develop etc… He articulates it better than me, that some people do develop their creativity more readily than others is so true. I reflected that many people find it easier to just rote learn…. do what has to be done, rather than allow themselves to follow ideas and see how they develop. I teach in a creative field, but still have students asking which chapter will they find the answers in…. rather than actually exploring the question… I hate using textbooks or that reason…

Clearly the students who are willing to try new ideas and techniques will be able to come up with more creative output…. the use of creative tools like the Adobe suite also requires skill, knowledge and control. Skill in being able to manipulate the range of tools using a range of techniques, knowledge of what the tools can do and control of knowing when they have done enough…. Imagination is being able to “see” what you want to create.

” What a great insight. Yes yes yes…. of course allowing students to be successful by showing you what they know in different ways will begin to foster a much more positive approach to learning, and the student will want to learn more and do more. I agree, students who don’t do well in standardized testing quickly begin to think they are dumb, and not able to learn. When given the opportunity to show what they know in different ways… wow… they can blossom.
It can take a while for students who are used to standardized testing, and lock step learning to engage in the freedom of learning in a more creative way. When they do get it the classroom is buzzing… and my heart sings to see so many “a ha” moments. My classes are often noisy and alive … I love it!!
With adults it can depend on the time of day (end of the working day PD time meetings… argh) and the nature of the task (intrinsic/extrinsic motivation), but generally when they let go of what they are used to doing and ways of learning, they too develop deeper learning. The skills and knowledge they develop when thinking and learning creatively definitely creates memorable learning experiences and deeper learning.
Professional Development Design continued to discuss Knowles 6 assumptions of adult learning, and compared it with constructivist approaches.
Adults bring a whole different set of skills to the PD room. The difference in ability is even wider than for a class of year 9 students. I can see that the key to developing effective PD is to indeed be the guide on the side. This allows the learners to take ownership of their learning, creating and exploring through relevant and guided tasks that inspire them.
Some students will need more structured guidance, others will feel confidant to work independently.

Tags: , , ,

Posted February 15, 2015 by Suz Arnott in category AdobeT4T