February 13

Teaching Adults… are there different needs?

In the first week of the Adobe Train the trainer course (yes I am playing catch up, and loving it) we explored the needs of adult learners and were introduced to Malcolm Knowles 6 assumptions on adult learner needs

• need to know
  • self directing
  • wealth of experience
  • relevancy oriented
  • problem centred
  • intrinsic and extrinsic motivation

We were asked to reflect on how we have had successes and challenges in applying these best practices, as well as reflecting on if these assumptions make sense for me personally..

My initial reaction is that it is a logical approach… it reflected many of my personal observations, and put into words things I have seen done, both good and bad! I think most of these assumptions can be used for any learner, regardless of age… it may be surprising just how much some of our young people do know… and we need to not dismiss this either.
I would like to think I apply them all, but probably need to refresh my approach across the board to create improved learning opportunities. I believe I have been able to present aspects of digital learning as exciting and engaging. Shown them how they can help improve their time management, connections with students, create a more engaging 21stC approach. Relevancy oriented: To try and find out a bit about the target audience… whether they teach a specific area or year level.
Reflecting on how I use these in my training sessions was really interesting.

This has been great to revise some of the things I have done in the past, some of the tools I use without thinking, and adding some new links as to why I should include different areas.

I use need to know, relevancy, experience and problem centred without really thinking about it…. so being able to put a more focused reason as to why I do these is brilliant. Using things like sticky notes or digital discussion boards, IWB, KWL charts has become embedded in my practice over the years to get a snapshot of my audience, whether Year 9 Art or adult training at a conference.

I am definitely looking at improving my intrinsic and extrinsic motivation, even just by having a slide there to remind me. Being able to cater for the individuals by creating more emphasis on self direction will work better for me too. These areas will assist in me having more engaged learners in my professional development sessions.

The final part for the week is the assignment. This week’s was a basic introduction, as well as providing feedback on 3 other participants.

“On a sheet of paper or in your favorite note-taking software, jot down your thoughts on how you’ll complete this week’s assignment. Keep in mind that you won’t be able to submit your Week 1 assignment until you’ve earned a green check mark for each step in this week. Once you do, the “Submit Assignment” button will appear.
  • Where are you from?
  • What is your professional background? (For example, are you a teacher, administrator, current education trainer, etc?)
  • Who is in your typical professional development audience? (For example, university professors, teachers with little to no prior experience with Adobe tools, digital media teachers, etc.)
  • What Adobe tools do you use?
  • What are your personal goals for the Train the Trainer course?”
Well… my fave note taking app/site/thingy is Evernote… keeping all of my notes from the course on this, it is way more organised than me!!
  • I am from beautiful Melbourne in Victoria, Australia… one of the southern states, but still on the mainland. It is definitely worthy of it’s title as one of the world’s most liveable cities, I love it. I live on the south eastern fringe of the city of Melbourne, and have country blocks not too far away, but our small community has a lovely blend of wetlands and the convenience of suburbia.
  • I am a teacher in a secondary college… 11 – 18 years old generally at a 3 campus college near the beach. I trained as an Art/Textiles teacher in the mid 1980s, and fell into teaching Photography. I went to a conference in 1990 called “Still Photography” and I was bitten. I developed my passion for Photoshop, and that rolled into Multimedia, which lead to me developing leadership roles in using a range of these new learning technologies last century and onto today.
  • Apart from my students I train other teachers with a range of skill levels… I have presented at IT conferences (that was scary as an art teacher) and Design and Technology teacher conferences. So skills range from expert to zero.
  • The Adobe tools I use or have used or can use include: Photoshop, InDesign, PSE, PE, Premiere, Acrobat, Illustrator, Dreamweaver and Flash
  • I am passionate about sharing my love of these amazing tools…but things change and my dream leader role disappeared…. I have decided to shake it off… and continue to share my passion in other ways, so hoping this course will give me my mojo back so I can fire up!!

Tags: , ,

Posted February 13, 2015 by Suz Arnott in category AdobeT4T, Best Practice, eLearning