February 5

Adobe Photoshop and PS Elements

• What challenges do you face when introducing Adobe tools to audiences of educators with no prior experience?What successes have you had?

Adobe tools are so expansive some of the challenges would include the fear factor, particularly with adult learners who may not be confident to jump onto a program and explore, which kids will often do, or at least feel more comfortable with. So much to cover, where do you start?

Successes have included inspiring students to develop their talents, assisting staff to develop skills to edit their own photos etc ready for use in documents.

• What’s your level of expertise with Photoshop Elements?

I have used Photoshop since the early 1990s on and off, but when I started a range of digital photography classes and then developed VET Multimedia course I was able to become totally immersed in a range of Adobe products including Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Flash (then Macromedia) etc. I am very comfortable with a range of PS areas from basic to creative advanced, and the rest I can muddle through to get things looking like I want them to.

• If you’re familiar with Photoshop Elements, what best practices can you share with your fellow course members?

Best practice would include not trying to include too much information, or do too much at once, as this can be totally overwhelming. Finding aspects to personalise the task so each learner feels connected to the learning. Have a take home aspect, let students know where they can go for more ideas or information.

Adobe Apps for Education

This is a brilliant guide of which Adobe product is best to create specific tasks. Fantastic to have them in an easy to see view, as even those of us who have been long time users of specific products can see a whole other range of options. This is great for a beginner, as they can see which product they need to explore to get the finished work they need.

• What was your biggest takeaway from this week’s Product Training Activities section?
  • Which of the strategies and resources from this week’s Product Training Activities section will you most likely use in your professional practice? Why?

– Getting a refreshed look at setting up a training video to support learning….not just on the fly.

– As PSE is a part of our school’s software package I will definitely look to supporting other staff members to use the software in their classes.

Tags: , , ,

Posted February 5, 2015 by Suz Arnott in category AdobeT4T, Best Practice, eLearning